About Me

My photo
I am embarking on a road trip from Boston, MA to New Orleans, LA. I am a 36 year old single mother and a high school teacher in Boston. I love my job and I can't wait to learn everything I can and bring it back home to my students.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Planning the Journey


"It is better to travel well than to arrive."- Buddha


I was born and raised in Boston, MA, and I consider myself to be a true Bostonian.   I love the city of Boston and I love the state of Massachusetts.  Like all good Bostonians, I can complain about the snow, marvel at the leaves changing and plan my weekends at the cape with equal enjoyment.   I am proud of my accent, my slightly crazy driving and my fluent use of the word "wicked."  Though not a huge sports fan, I always cheer for Boston in any activity because their win reaffirms my opinion that Boston is the greatest city.  I love to travel, but I always love to come home.  I went to college here, and I teach high school feet away from the Boston hospital where I was born.


Having been raised by a family that is routed in Massachusetts for generations has given me a define New England bias about life.  I don't talk to strangers on the bus, my door is always locked, and I think its fair to say that I am a little cynical.  It would not be incorrect to say that I am a proud Massachusetts liberal that would make Fox News shake their fists in frustration.


At my high school I teach a mix of British, World and American literature.  Though some of my favorite authors are Southern, I have never been to the South, and sometimes I feel that limitation when I am trying to explain it to my students.  I can conceptualize a place where doors are left unlocked and neighbors wander in and out, but I don't really get it on a gut level.  My impressions of the South are a mix of movie cliches, bad country songs and stories from the news.  


When I had the opportunity to apply for a grant through the Fund For Teachers that would allow me to travel anywhere I wanted to, I started designing a road trip that would let me visit some of the important settings from some of my favorite novels.  Five months later, here I am thanks to FFT!  Surfing the web, talking to friends and laying out a 5 day trip that will help me to experience some of the South for myself.  Will I find myself sipping iced tea in a large sun hat or riding in the back of a pick up truck singing along to a harmonica wielding musician? Most likely, neither, but I am willing to see where the road takes me!


I am, by nature, a type A planner.  Though I can't fly totally by the seat of my pants, I am trying to keep Buddah's proverb in mind.  I want to travel well on this trip.   I care less about where I arrive and more about what I will experience.  I want to visit some sites but more than that, when people ask me what I am going to do in the South I answer "I'm going to feel it."


On this journey will be my son, Hank, who is 5.  We have been practicing saying "Nahlins" so I think he will be ready.  Also with us will be Walter.  Walter is a very good friend of my family's, and a former student of mine.  Walter is a Biology major in college and he is always excellent company!  We have had many adventures together, and I can't imagine a better road trip companion!



 

1 comment:

  1. Adorbs picture. Love the intro -- you all are going to have an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete