About Me

My photo
I am embarking on a road trip from Boston, MA to New Orleans, LA. I am a 36 year old single mother and a high school teacher in Boston. I love my job and I can't wait to learn everything I can and bring it back home to my students.

Friday, August 9, 2013

Sweet Home, Alabama

Today was a lot of driving with some amazing adventures thrown in!

We said goodbye to our GA home and headed to Alabama.  The weather was great with burst of rain- and when I say bursts, I mean it!

We first went to Birmingham to see the Civil Rights Museum.  It was such an experience and a moving presentation of sacrifices and successes.  I sadly was not allowed to take pics in the museum because there were SO many amazing things I wanted to share.  It was amazing to be in Birmingham, and now in Montgomery, where so much of this struggle happened.  It is also interesting to hear people from this area talk about the movement, some with awe and some with a raised eyebrow.

This is a picture of me outside of the museum.  I bring back books and a lot of knowledge and understanding!

This path replicates the famous Civil Rights March.



We left Birmingham and headed to Montgomery, where we are staying.  We visited the F. Scott Fitzgerald house and saw a little bit about Fitzgerald's life, and that of his fascinating wife, Zelda.




Lastly, we arrived at our B&B where we are staying in the Great Gatsby Suite!  My room is gorgeous and I had to share a few pics!



We have just returned from a huge dinner of Alabama BBQ and it was SO good!  We are stuffed and ready for bed!

Tomorrow we leave Montgomery for Mobile and Monroeville!  Then to NOLA tomorrow night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment