About Me

My photo
I am embarking on a road trip from Boston, MA to New Orleans, LA. I am a 36 year old single mother and a high school teacher in Boston. I love my job and I can't wait to learn everything I can and bring it back home to my students.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Great Times in DC

We are concluding our DC visit early tomorrow morning as we hit the road to Georgia.  

DC was a great stop.  Relaxing in the Writer's Retreat Space at Akwaaba was amazingly refreshing.  VIsitng Bus Boys and Poets provided me a great view into a modern SpeakEasy, and allwoed em to pick up some great texts to teach and supplement my curriculum in 11 and 12th grade ELA.

We had sometime for fun too!  Hank and I explored Dupont Circle in DC, just steps from our B&B.  It was a gorgeous day!


On the fun side, we also visited the Air and Space Museum, since Hank LOVES space and astronauts! A trip to the Planetarium rounded out this visit.


It wasn't all fun and escapism, because we ended the day with a visit to the American Indian Museum.  It was AMAZING.  As someone who is exploring the relationship between literature, identity, race and religion, a visit to the American Indian Exhibits were essential.

I have decided to teach some Sherman Alexie, both to my ELA 11 and my ELA 12.  I LOVE Alexie, and with the current issue of censoring his YA work, he is especially timely.  His essays and fiction are equally moving, and I was excited to pick up some of his work at the museum.  I also got a lot of material on Native lore and the history of NA literature, both modern and folk.

I had been planning on visiting Baltimore to study some about Poe, but in learning more about his life, I don't think he fits the outline of the study that I am completing, and I hadn't anticipated how perfectly this visit *would* fit my study.  It was a great visit and I will certainly take many things back to my class.






DC- We loved our time here!  We leave relaxed, refreshed and energized!

Tomorrow- a day of driving!  From two big cities to Georgia...Some city but a lot of country!  My ipod is queued up with hours of country!  Get ready, Walter!

No comments:

Post a Comment