About Me

My photo
I am embarking on a road trip from Boston, MA to New Orleans, LA. I am a 36 year old single mother and a high school teacher in Boston. I love my job and I can't wait to learn everything I can and bring it back home to my students.

Sunday, August 4, 2013

DC, here we are!

We left Harlem early this AM and set our GPS for Washington DC, and the beautiful Akwaaba Inn.  It is gorgeous and located in DuPont Circle, and on the same road as the White House.  You couldn't have asked for anything better in terms of location.  This boutique inn is black owned and operated and each room is named for a Harlem Renaissance writer.  We are in the Writer's Retreat rooms.

When we first arrived we were starving, so we walked to the end of our street to find a restaurant with a bustling crowd and a big sign that proclaimed "Gurl, you look hungry!" and we WERE!  We stopped and ate a delicious drag themed brunch!  It appears we had arrived in DC!



One of the places I most wanted to visit is Busboys and Poets, a modern day speak easy, bookstore and coffee shop. It was amazing, and had a great vibe.  Walter and I remarked that we had never seen such a diverse crowd of all races, sexualities, ages and expressions.  We loved it!   The food was great but the atmosphere was even better.  There were spoken word performances and dances in the next room, and book talks scheduled through the month.


Here is a great explanation of the name of Busboys- it comes from Langston Hughes' first job as  busboy!


These are some of the spoils I took back from the bookstore.  I will use the Walker essays in my ELA 11 AP, as they are rich in language and theme.  I will teach Song of Solomon and Their Eyes Were Watching God to my 12th grade classes, and later on in the trip will be visiting the birth places of these authors.


It was a great start to DC!  We plan on visiting the American Indian Museum to study some myths and folktales, as I think that will add a rich dimension to my studies on race and religion in literature and essays.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment